3.01.2011

Saying Goodbye to the Sealions

In the states, students have so much time to adjust to the idea of being a grade higher. Three months to look forward to a new teacher and new classmates. Koreans aren't really into the whole summer vacation thing, so moving up a grade just kind of happens unceremoniously. The 2010 school year ended yesterday. And the new school year begins...tomorrow!

So, here's a look at the last few days with the Sealions, and a few scattered from throughout the school year.
I might miss Angela the most. She was new in second semester, and I had a difficult time with her at first. But we bonded a lot over the last couple of months, and I think the other kids were starting to notice my favoritism.
Angela was always pulling my hair into pigtails like this, and then she would smile really big and silly and say, "PRETTY!"
Oh man, and Tiana. Also a second-semester newbie, I fell in love with her, too. Tiana is such a little baby. She just wants to snuggle and play and be tickled and turned upside down. Not so much interested in her Phonics workbook. For the first couple of months that I taught Tiana she refused to speak. She worked up to what Ashley perfectly described as a "fairy-troll" voice--I have no idea how to try to make that make sense to you. But after a lot of coaxing and tickling and teasing, working her up to a clear, audible squeally voice was an exceedingly difficult but immensely rewarding challenge.
And look how they love each other! :) This was their graduation day, so they got diplomas and presents. It was very exciting. They even sang a couple of songs in front of the other classes.
Dana (left) and Jasmine (right) being fake-grumpy. Dana is moving to Cambodia where her daddy works, so I'll never see her again. That really, really bums me out. That little girl brought me so much joy in the last year. She just loved, loved, loved coming to school and playing games and reading books. Still, I'm really happy for her family. They've spent the last year living apart, which I think was pretty hard on Dana. I think Jasmine is going to miss her a lot too. They were pretty inseparable. Jasmine is going to be in Stephen's class for kindergarten! He's so lucky.

I don't know why I was taking pictures of them washing their hands.
Chocolate-face Helen! She's going to be in Derek's class. He's soooooo lucky. She's amazing and perfect. Jeez. I had such a good class.

Girls! Dana, Jasmine, Alice, Angela, Tiana, Sophie.

Stephen gets to take this little guy too. Jason and I went through a lot together this year. Him trying to figure out how to have a good attitude...me trying to figure out how to deal with him...We made each other cry a few times, but he was still one of my favorites. He's climbing my legs here like a little monkey.
Running around the classroom as fast as they can in a train...losing and tripping over shoes, falling, getting trampled...They love it.

Jasmine! Sooo little and cute! This is from several months ago. I can't believe how much these kids grew.

Aw. Bye Dana :(
Goodbye Sealions!

No comments:

Post a Comment